What is Dating Anxiety?
You might catch yourself thinking things like:
- What they think I’m awkward?
- They can tell I’m anxious.
- They won’t like me if they find out how anxious I really am.
- What if they don’t like me when we meet up?
- What if I show that I like them and I get rejected?
- No one I like will be into me.
- I don’t know what to say or text
Maybe you find yourself:
- Waiting until it’s obvious someone likes you before showing any interest
- Hiding any signs of attraction when you like someone
- Not trying for people you really want to date
- Attempting to seem more impressive than you really are
- Trying to figure out how to act to make people like you
- shutting down and not being able to say anything
- Avoiding parties, bars, or other environments where you might meet someone
- Staying off dating apps or not actually meeting up for dates
Dating anxiety is a pattern of defensive social behavior, aimed at avoiding embarrassment or rejection. You want a connection but you’re so scared of what might go wrong that you miss out.
How I treat dating anxiety
I can help you understand the way that your dating anxiety works. This is a type of social anxiety, and we can identify the important components that escalate anxiety for you (self-focused attention, high performance standards, protective behavior, emotional regulation problems). And when we do, I can help you start to make the changes that break down dating anxiety. As this happens, I support you as you move towards your dating goals. I help you get comfortable in dating so you have the best experience you can.
Take the First Step
Over the last 15 years, I’ve had success helping a lot of people overcome their social anxiety problems and live a richer, more fulfilling life. No matter how long is been, you can still make progress. Take a step towards your new life and get started today.